Chassagne-Montrachet is located to the south of Puligny-Montrachet in the Côte de Beaune and is one of Burgundy's greatest white wine appellations. It produces all appellations from village to Grand Cru. The word Chassagne comes from either the Latin cassanea which means an oak wood or cassanus which means oak. Until the late 19th Century the main settlement of this commune was known as Chassagne-le-Haut. However in 1879, in common with other villages in the Côte d'Or, the village was allowed to change its name replacing le Haut with name of their most famous Grand Cru Montrachet. The village appellation covers just over half of Chassagne-Montrachet.